How many pounds of mashed potatoes do you think will be eaten next week? Possibly hundreds of thousands of pounds? Who knows. What I do know is that you don’t need to settle for bland mashed potatoes. This recipe results in super creamy, velvety and rich mashed potatoes. Top with with extra herbed butter to give it an extra boost of flavor. The herbs + garlic also make it taste like an elevated version of a family favorite.
Herbed Garlic Butter Mashed Potatoes
- 2 Pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into big chunks
- 2 Garlic cloves, 1 smashed and 1 minced
- ½ Cup heavy cream
- ½ Cup milk
- ⅓ Cup butter
- 3 Sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 Sprigs fresh rosemary
- ⅓ Cup sour cream
- In a large pot over medium heat, bring the potatoes and smashed garlic clove to a simmer.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile prepare the herbed garlic butter. Heat the butter, minced garlic and fresh herbs in a large skillet over medium heat until it begins to brown. Scrape the brown bits of the bottom. Remove from fire and let it rest for around 15 minutes.
- Remove herbs and set aside to use as decoration.
- Drain the potatoes and mash over low heat. Mix in the heavy cream and milk. Add sour cream and half the butter and mix until everything is well incorporated and creamy.
- When ready to serve top with the remaining herbed butter and the herbs.