When I’m craving dessert, I always turn to oatmeal. It’s the perfect vehicle for a variety of yummy toppings like peanut butter, chocolate, fruit and nuts. PLUS, oatmeal is nutrient-dense and a whole lot better than other dessert options. When my kids are hungry for a snack, I always suggest oatmeal. This chocolate peanut butter oatmeal could easily be for breakfast or dessert!
As I said, I love my oatmeal. Here are a few more of my oatmeal recipes: This Overnight Pumpkin Oatmeal with cinnamon and sugared pecans is also a must-try. How about combining coffee + oatmeal in this Iced Coffee Refrigerator Oats? Finally, you can never go wrong with a Classic Berry overnight oats recipe!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal
I love this recipe because it’s a great make ahead breakfast as well. You can store it in an airtight container for up to 5 days, so you can cook a big batch on Sunday and then have enough breakfasts to last you a week + the toppings are super customizable so you can change them everyday to feel you are having something different. Berries and peanut butter may not sound like they go together, but trust me, it’s an oatmeal combination you must try!
- 1 Cup oats
- 2 Cups milk
- 3 Tbsps cocoa powder
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ Cup honey or maple syrup
- 4 Tbsps creamy peanut butter
- Chopped chocolate
- Chopped walnuts and pecans
- Sliced banana
- Coconut flakes
- In a pot over medium heat combine the milk, cocoa powder, pinch of salt, maple syrup and peanut butter. Stir until smooth (around 4 minutes).
- Add the oats and simmer until the milk has absorbed into the oats. Remove from fire.
- Place into small bowls and decorate with the toppings.