5 Tips for Stress-free Homework
As the mom of five elementary-aged children, homework can be stressful for all of us. On top of that, four of them are ESL students and two of them need a lot of extra help to get caught up with their peers. There are many things that can contribute to homework stress, but I’ve managed to find some things that work for us to help make for a stress-free homework time.
1. Have a designated homework spot. A clean, large space is best. For us, that is our dining room table. The kids know to go there directly after school and start their homework. There’s enough space for everyone and it is clutter free.
2. Have a snack before homework. I don’t know about you, but when a few of my kids are hungry, that equals cranky. Just like a good breakfast is essential in the morning, a healthy after school snack before homework is a good idea. We like to have apples and peanut butter, popcorn, Fruit2O, SunnyD or sometimes I will make a healthy homemade snack.
3. Focus on one child at a time. Since I have five children, homework time might look a lot different at your house. Three of my kids can do their work independently with limited questions. Two of my kids need constant guidance, but hopefully that will change as the year goes on. If all of my kids ask me questions at once, the homework scene becomes chaotic! The kids now know that if I am working with one child they need to wait until we are done to ask questions.
4. No distractions. No music, kindles or TV on during homework time. This is a no-brainer, but a must!
5. Take a breather. Two of my kids have the personalities that will shut down if they are frustrated that they don’t understand a homework concept. Before, I would make them push through it and we would both be worn out and frustrated, but you will be surprised what a quick 5 minute break can do. If they are getting extremely frustrated and emotional, I ask, “would you like to take a break and we can try it again in five minutes?”
Did you know you can earn books for your child’s classroom with SunnyD and the Book Spree Program? Just collect SunnyD labels and send to your child’s teacher. Teachers will then send the labels into SunnyD to get free books. For every 20 labels received, SunnyD will donate 20 free books. (expires on 11/30/15 or while supplies last). I picked my SunnyD products up at my local Hy-Vee. Check your local grocery store!
- Step 1: Parents clip and collect eligible SunnyD UPC labels.
- Step 2: Parents send UPC labels with their child to a participating teacher.
- Step 3: Teachers collect UPCs, fill out the entry form and mail both to SunnyD.
- Step 4 – SunnyD sends books to participating classrooms (limit of 20 books/classroom). Don’t Delay – Book Spree ends 11/30/2015
I have many homeschooling friends and what’s neat about the program is home educators are eligible! There is 1 redemption per teacher and classrooms can receive up to 20 books. So, purchase SunnyD for your child’s after school snack and earn them free books while you are at it!