Like most families, we have to watch our spending. Mortgage, insurance, food costs, medical bills and student loans all add up. Then birthdays, Christmas and other holidays roll around and here we are buying gifts for three kids and many extended family members! I know that people can spend thousands of dollars for Christmas alone and I know that I just can’t (and don’t want) to do that.
How to save money on holiday and birthday gifts….
1. Shop throughout the year! Awesome sales don’t just happen on Black Friday. Keep your eye out for sales throughout the year. I have a whole shelf in my closet dedicated to the gifts I find. The fact that you are spreading your purchases out throughout the year is more affordable then one huge expense when December rolls around. As a precaution, make sure you know the store’s return policy in case you need to return an item.
2. Find out which stores have the best deals. This is something that has taken me awhile to master. Over time you will find the best stores with the best deals for your family. One of my favorite places to shop is Target. You can even see what days they do their markdowns. Kohls is a great place for kids clothing. I have a Kohls credit card (but pay it off as soon as I purchase) which gives me access to up to 30% off. On top of that, Kohls has many sales throughout the year where you can earn $10 gift certificates for every $50 you spend. I also take advantage of Zulily’s blowout sales. Zulily is where I found this outfit + shoes for less than $20 total!
3. Don’t be too good for discount stores. Kmart, Walmart, Big Lots and TJ Maxx are all stores that can have great discounts on name brand items.
4. Shop frequently. You may think this is a disadvantage to saving money, but if you browse the sale racks every time you head to Target or if you go to every Kohl’s sale, you will find the most (and the best) deals throughout the year. I buy items 50-70% off quite often, which in the long run saves me a ton of money.
5. Only buy what you will give. This one might be the hardest for you and sometimes it is for me too. If I see something that is a good deal, that doesn’t mean I need it. Make sure you only purchase what would give as gifts. You don’t want a ton of useless things in your basement and money down the drain. That defeats the whole purpose!
6. Earn gift cards! By signing up for Bing Rewards, you can earn gift cards just by searching using Bing (Kind of like a loyalty card)! This is super simple and you earn gift cards by doing something that you do everyday: searching the internet. You can then use those rewards to get free gift cards to places like Amazon, Groupon, Sephora, Toys R’Us and Starbucks. This is the perfect opportunity to save money on gifts.
What are your tips on saving money for gifts?
I’m required to disclose a relationship between our site and Bing. As a member of this program I have been compensated for this post in the form of product or payment.