Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes
Recipe type: Dessert
- For the biscuits:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup margerine
- ½ cup, plus splash of milk
- 2 Tbls. butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- For the strawberries:
- 2 small packages of strawberries (about 2 lbs)
- ¼ cup sugar, or to your liking
- Whipped Cream
- First you hull and slice a few small packages of strawberries and mash them with the sugar. (You can use a potato masher or a cup). You want to keep all of the juices. Let them macerate in the fridge for awhile before serving with the shortcakes.
- For the biscuits: Stir 2 cups of all purpose flour, 4 teaspoons baking powder, 2 tsp sugar, ½ tsp cream of tartar, and ½ tsp salt. Cut in ½ cup margerine until there are coarse crumbs (I like to use my hands). Set aside. Heat ¾ cups chocolate chips, 2 Tbls butter, and a splash of milk together until melted. Add the melted ingredients to the dry mixture along with ½ cup milk.
- Stir dough together. Knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 10-12 strokes. The dough will be somewhat crumbly. Roll or pat to ½ inch thick and use a drinking cup to cut your biscuit circles.
- Bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 450 for 10-12 minutes. Serve warm topped with macerated strawberries and whipped cream.