Any meal that I can throw together on a whim using minimal ingredients with prep time less than ten minutes is a win for me. I find myself using homemade and fresh ingredients most of the time, but I don’t fuss about the occasional boxed mixes and meal helpers (as I like to call them).
So in this 5-ingredient Italian Chicken Crescent Roll Bake, I had several meal helpers: homemade spaghetti sauce (freezable and .37 cents per serving) and packaged crescent rolls. I’m thinking that this meal *could* be freezable, which would be an added bonus because you could make several pans of these ahead of time and freeze.
I used fresh basil from our garden and next time I make this I’m going to add a few cups of zucchini. The homemade spaghetti sauce that I make does have ground beef in it, so if you’d rather make this meal with meatless sauce or jarred spaghetti sauce, I would recommend adding several cups of veggies to soak up the sauce or it will be a runny mess.
5 Ingredient Italian Chicken Crescent Bake
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 1/2 – 3 cups spaghetti sauce
8 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
1/2 cup fresh basil
(1) 8 oz. pkg. of crescent rolls
(optional topping:) 2 Tbls. melted butter, sprinkle of garlic salt and parsley
- Place the chicken breasts (pound thin if they are very thick) on the bottom of a 9×13 pan.
- Cover the chicken with the spaghetti sauce, then the cheese, followed by the basil. (a sprinkle of ground pepper is good here)
- Lay the crescent rolls flat over the top, covering the whole pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. (If the crescent topping is getting too brown, cover with foil)
- (Optional) 10 minutes before finished, melt butter. Brush over the crescent rolls and sprinkle with garlic salt and parsley.