Become Like Little Children

The kids’ last day of school was on the 4th and while they did amazing catching up to their peers in Kindergarten in only four short months, we have some work to do this summer to prepare for 1st grade. Most of that is writing and reading, but I’ve found teaching opportunities in the little things so far this summer at home with them.

We have a few hanging flower baskets that the boys gave me for Mother’s Day right in front of our living room window. Manny noticed birds flying into the basket he gave me and was worried that the birds were eating (his) flowers! The next time I watered it, sure enough there was a nest with two beautiful eggs.

Over the course of the next few weeks we used that time to talk about and actually watch the life forming in that nest. The anticipation of baby birds kept the kids excited each day. This nest led to many discussions: Why does a bird lay eggs and people don’t? Why will the momma bird leave if we disturb the nest? How do birds build the nests?

Two tiny eggs that will become beautiful birds. How amazing.

The kids were in awe and amazement at watching the baby birds growing in those nests and I couldn’t help but be too.

This was much more of a learning experience for me, or maybe a great reminder, because as adults we need to be reminded to be in awe and wonder of the miracles around us. It sadly doesn’t come naturally anymore.

And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 18:3

This is a true life example of what I think this scripture means. Watching these birds through our living room window build a nest out of twigs and grass, then the appearance of two little eggs seemingly out of nowhere, left the kids in shock and amazement. Then seeing the baby birds appear a short while later left them in awe and wonder and excitement.

Why aren’t we as adults the same way? The Bible specifically tells us that we need to become like little children again. We need to bring back that awe and excitement at the rain, the wind blowing through the trees, the beautiful flowers appearing out of the ground, the vast oceans, the enormous mountains and the beautiful sunshine that God created.

The list goes on and on.

Amazing what comes from those two tiny eggs. Beautiful.

Take the time today to just stand in awe and amazement at something in your life. Whether it’s the rain falling from the sky, the wind blowing through your hair or your beautiful little baby resting in your arms.

Here is a video that was shown at church a few weeks ago on this very topic. Watch it and be reminded: Stand in awe… In wonder…. Be excited about all of the miracles around you.

Get the latest delicious goodness straight to your inbox!

Comments

1. says

I literally gasped at the pictures of the baby birds. How beautiful! My daughter and I stopped today to watch a snail cross the sidewalk. I love the simple things I get to enjoy with my kids.

2. says

That’s so true. We tend to rationalize too much. We just need to accept, appreciate and treasure the blessings He places around us.

3. says

Oh those little birds are precious. I agree, we need to become like children, at least once in awhle. The bible says to have the faith of a child!

4. says

Such a wonderful post. Jesus Himself taught us to have faith like a child. Thanks for sharing your beautiful pics and a great lesson in patience with us

5. says

Those photos are absolutely amazing. I’ve had birds hatch at our home, but they were too high up to see them. How precious.

6. says

I am amazed at times while watching my kids learn about the world around them. And you are right, we all need to remember to “be a kid” at times. Last week I caught my husband and daughters coming in the house soaking wet. Daddy had taken them outside to play in the rain. You don’t want to lose that.

7. says

What an amazing experience to watch nature take place like that right under your noses. We get a lot of nests in our trees, but they are always way too high up to see in.

8. says

Tomorrow is the last day of school here and I can’t wait!! Your’e right there are wonders to be appreciated in everything.

9. Tracey says

What an inspirational post to read. I loved the baby bird picture that accompanied this post. It really solidified the message you were trying to convey.

10. Amy Desrosiers says

I love the photos if the eggs and babies. These are so beautiful, I’d frame them.

11. says

we were trying to have a similar lesson with a nest and eggs. Another bird came and took the eggs so we weren’t able to watch them all hatch

12. says

Thank you for sharing the video and verse. It was exactly what I needed. Lately, I’ve been feeling like the busyness of life is draining me, drawing me away and causing the seeds that were planted to get bogged down in the cares of the world. This weekend I had to take a step back, to disconnect from media, and reconnect with my sons. We needed it. I want to stand in awe everyday. I never want to take anything He has given me for granted.

13. says

Fantastic point! I try to always think of my blessings. I love getting out in nature with the kids too. They always point things out to me that sometimes I wouldn’t notice. I sometimes wonder if I am learning more from them than the other way around.

14. says

I’m really impressed you were able to get such amazing photos. We have a couple of birds nests in the birdhouses in your yard. We can’t see inside very well, but it’s been fun to tell my son about the baby birds that were in there recently.

15. says

Becoming a mother has really helped me with this. To see the world again for the first time has helped me focus on what’s important in life.

16. says

When you really stop and think about it, there is so much we have gotten used to in our daily lives and rarely think about. Having children has really helped me to slow down and take notice of things that before, I didn’t have time for.

17. says

That photo of the two baby birds is breathtaking! We haven’t come across any nests to watch, but it’s something I did as a kid and it’s so magical.

18. says

Those pictures are truly amazing! I agree that we should strive to be more like little children. This is such a great story to be shared concerning this topic.

19. says

Those baby birds are too cute! Amazing photos! I bought my wife one of those window bird houses so she could watch birds build a nest but so far the house is still empty.

20. says

What perfect pictures of the eggs and the baby birds. I love the reminder to just stand in awe and amazement at something in our life. Our Creator has certainly given us enough to be in awe of, hasn’t He?

21. says

I always get a nest by the back door and I LOVE watching it every day to see how the babies are coming along. I thought they’d be noisy when they have their beaks open like that, but they’re quiet!

22. says

I have had birds build a nest before where I could watch them grow. They sure do grow fast and leave the nest.

23. says

Such a great reminder! I love seeing the world through Emerson’s eyes. Everything is a new and fresh. And thanks for sharing the video. I was in the nursery, so I heard the message, but didn’t see the video!

24. says

Your pictures of the eggs & baby birds are just beautiful! I try to keep my child-like mind sharp, but with the many adult responsibilities it can be tough! Today I am watching the rain come down – and loving every minute of it!