I love baking banana bread because it’s super easy. I even made it as a newly married college student in our cramped galley kitchen. Let me tell you, I was a eh…. a challenged cook. I remember breaking out the slow cooker all excited to make our first meal of plain chicken and rice. BUT, I could make a mean banana bread and always would have extra loaves in the fridge and freezer. I think that’s how we made it through college- frozen pizzas and banana bread.
I wanted to add a little extra goodness to my favorite banana bread recipe and what better way then to add Nutella! I also changed up the streusel part of the bread, which ended up being divine. The streusel layer will melt into the banana bread mixture creating perfect gooey swirls.
Nutella and Streusel Swirled Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup butter
1 1/3 cup brown sugar
2 beaten eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup smashed ripe bananas, about 3
- about 7 oz. Nutella
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease (2) 9×4 loaf pans.
- In a medium-sized bowl, using a fork or your hands, mix all of the streusel ingredients until you have a crumbly mixture.
- In order, cream banana bread ingredients in a mixing bowl until combined.
- In your greased pans, spoon a layer of banana bread in the bottom, followed by a drizzle of Nutella (you might need to put it in the microwave for a few seconds) and a generous portion of the streusel.
- Use a butter knife to swirl the three layers in the pan.
- Repeat each layer, leaving a layer of banana bread at the top. Top with a bit of remaining streusel.
- Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.