Everyone enjoyed the pizza braid I posted last year, so I thought I would turn it into something everyone enjoys – dessert. Not just any dessert though, but a super easy, delicious, and good-looking dessert that you can serve at parties and people will be amazed and think you spent hours in the kitchen.
All you need are about 6 apples, any good baking apple. I used Jonathan. If you are in a rush, you could easily use the canned apple pie filling. Then of course you need the Rhodes bread dough that I used in the pizza braid, thawed and risen. To cook the apples in you need some butter, vanilla, sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. You can top the braid with toasted almonds and cream cheese frosting.
First, peel and slice all of your apples.
On the stove top, melt your butter and cook your apples for a few minutes. Add in 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Cook about 15 minutes or until tender.
Spread your dough out on a floured, rimmed cookie sheet and place your cooked apples right down the middle.
Using a pizza cutter, cut thin strips on each side of the apples, like the photo below. You want the same amount of strips on each side. Don’t cut too close to the apples or the filling will bubble out during the baking process and make a mess.
This might be a tricky part for some, but now you braid the dough. Fold over the first two strips to make the end of the braid, you don’t want all of the good apple mixture spilling out. Then, you take a strip from one side and bring it across the apple mixture and to the other side. It’s easier to look at pictures…
When you get towards the bottom of the braid, be sure to fold over the last two strips, just like you did in the beginning, to keep that apple goodness inside!
Bake at 325 until golden brown, about 20 – 25 minutes. You can brush with butter and throw on some toasted almonds before the end of baking too. I’m a frosting girl, so I used a basic cream cheese frosting recipe and thinned it down with a little milk and drizzled that right on over the top.
I betchya this will be one for your recipe box! Enjoy!
|Apple Dessert Braid||
- 1 loaf of Rhodes Bread dough (found in freezer section), thawed and risen
- 6 Baking Apples (Granny Smith, Jonathan), peeled and sliced
- 1 stick Butter
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Toasted Almonds
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Peel and slice your apples.
- Melt butter in saucepan and cook apples for a few minutes. Add in the sugars, cinnamon and vanilla, and cook until tender.
- Spread the bread dough out on a rimmed cookie sheet in a large rectangle and place the apples all the way down the center.Using a pizza cutter, cut the same amount of strips on each side of the apples.
- Fold the top two strips, down over the apples to create the end of the braid and prevent apples from spilling out.
- Take the next strip and pull to the other side of the braid. Now from the other side of the braid take that strip and pull to the other side. Braid the bread down to the other end. (Be sure to fold over the last two strips on the end just like you did for the beginning).
- Bake at 325 until golden brown. If desired, top with toasted almonds and cream cheese frosting