web analytics

How To Make Your Own Rotisserie Chicken

img_6322

Update- Try the new Slow Cooker Buttered Lemon Herb Rotisserie Chicken version!

I usually buy Rotisserie chickens for quick meals, but once I learned of this recipe from the Slow Cooker recipe book, I was hooked. Not only does it save money, but it’s delicious. First, rinse the chicken and remove the neck and giblets (you can also buy the chicken with these already removed). Then you prepare the rub, all you need is:

1 broiler/fryer chicken (3.5-4 lbs)

2 Tbsp Paprika

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional!)

1 1/2 tsp onion powder

2 Tbsp garlic powder or 3 cloves garlic

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

rotisserierub

Place all of your ingredients in a small bowl and stir in water by the teaspoon until a paste forms. Spray your slow cooker with cooking spray and place the chicken in, breast side up. I hate the look and feel of raw chicken, but trust me- it will be good when it’s done!

Coat the chicken inside and out with the paste. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours or on high 3.5-4.5 hours. Make sure the thickest part of the thigh registers at 180 degrees. Wow, how simple is that? You can use the leftover chicken to make a variety of recipes like Chicken and Gnocchi Soup, Quesadillas and Queso Pizza. I made Chicken and Dumplings tonight!

If you’d like to make “real” Rotisserie Chicken, you can find an inexpensive at-home Rotisserie Convection Ovens for under $100!

Comments

1. Great idea. I usually do this with roasts!

2. Filomena says:

Instead of foil, I would elevate the chicken with whole carrots, celery and chunks of onion. This gives you a good base for your gravy.

3. Cruellatina says:

This was disgusting and flavorless. Sorry. Dislike!

4. I have to tell you, we have used your recipe at least a handful of times. In fact, I have it going right now so I can prep for tomorrow. It is so easy and delicious!! Thank you!!!

5. Would this work with breast only?

6. I was able to make this chicken last Monday. It was amazing! My kids loved it and we had plenty left over for salads for the week! Thank you for taking the time to share this recipe.

7. I was able to make this last Monday. It was so juicy and wonderful, and there was plenty left over to put on salads for the week. The chicken was so good, my kids even liked the salads!!! Thank you for sharing.

8. You just gave me my Sunday Dinner idea. Going to the store after work and will buy a whole chicken. I also like to use rotisserie chicken for other recipes that call for chicken. It really ups the flavor of the recipe.

9. @ Mollie: General rule of crock pot cooking is that there will be more liquid at the end of the cook time than there was at the beginning. It’s not like cooking on the stove where liquid evaporates. It would be very rare that anything would ever dry out from being cooked in the crock pot. In the case of this recipe, the juices from the chicken will definitely create a nice amount of liquid.

10. Are you kidding me? It’s this easy? So I’m spending $9.99 on one organic whole roast chicken from the local grocery store and I can do my own in a crock pot? A crock pot, LOL You have no idea how happy you just made me. Someone “pinned” something from my board I peeked at theirs and found this, awesome :)

11. Andrea V. says:

I just made this. I used garlic powder instead of minced garlic and omitted the optional cayenne pepper. I added 7 tsp to the seasoning to make it a paste. Dont need to add water to crock pot it makes its own juices. Cooked it for 7hrs in the crock pot and put it on a cookie sheet in the oven at 450 for another 20 min and it crisped the skin right up. It turned out awesome!! It was moist and delicious!! Will be adding this to my 2 week dinner rotation. Thank you for the recipe and saving me 7$ every time my husband wants rotisserie chicken.

12. Thanks for the recipe! But I’m confused about whether it’s supposed to be breast side up or down or if it really matters. The pictures looks like it’s breast down but the directions say up.

13. Can this be done in the oven at all? If so how would you do it?@ Emily:

14. Brenda it shows the Breast side up. Just like it says in the directions…

15. I would broil it at the very end!

16. Stephanie says:

Just curious if the skin comes out somewhat crispy, or do I need to broil the chicken first?

17. Your pic shows breast side down?…you said breast side up? confused

18. I have made this chicken. You want the moisture from the chicken and you do not want to add liquid. What you do is ball up several balls of foil and lay the chicken on top. That way you get moist chicken without laying in liquid. Some times I just do chicken breasts with the skin on them. Hope this helps

19. Are we suppose to add water t crock pot?i did nnot read where it says to add water.

20. Hi, this recipe looks great, only problem, I don’t have a crockpot :[ What if I were to use the oven, what procedure should I follow?

21. @ Jenny:
    Do you have to use water in this recipe or just let the juices from the chicken do the job? I have read about this recipe from many websites but no one really explained whether there should be water or not. Have not tried it yet because of it. Will the skin come out crispy or do I have to put in the broiler first to get it that way? Really do not want mess this up on the first go round. Please send me an email to let me know exactly what to do.

Mollie

22. New to discover your site on my quest to clean up my diet! Will definitely try this because I tend to buy at least two of these a week. :) Thank you!

23. I am certainly going to try this soon. Great idea.

24. @ Kandy:

Put about 4-5 tennis-ball sized pieces of foil on the bottom of your crock pot. Then sit the chicken on top of them.

25. I have gotten a new crockpot; previously over the years when I have tried to cook chicken in a cp it has always come out sitting in juice and overly soft. Does this chicken not make a ton of juice? It looks delicious, and i would probably put it under the broiler to crisp the skin if it won’t fall apart from cp. Have read about the foil balls previously but have not tried to use them. I admit to having had several cp’s over the years and giving them away because I did NOT like the way meats always seemed to be in a ton of juice after cooking.

26. Our family LOVED this. This is the only recipe that we’ve liked for meat cooked in the crock pot. Usually, we only bake or grill it. I’m making it for the second time in less than 2 weeks.

27. Mommy Bird says:

Just made this today! It turned out great…. Husband and kids loved it! I had a 3.5 lb chicken and it was in the crock pot on high for 7 hours. I read some of the reviews that said the skin was soft/soggy so I put in the oven for about 20 min (after it was done in the crock pot) to crisp the skin up! I didn’t think the chicken itself was soggy (I didn’t use foil balls) but moist, fall off the bone delicious! I want to spice it up with rosemary and lemon next time!

28. Nichole Spencer says:

@ Jennifer:
    You may have had too much water in the bottom, and the chicken would create some of its own juices. Next time, roll up 3 or 4 balls of foil, and place those in the water and it will allow the chicken to sit on top of those. It’ll be out of the water and still get the moisture. I tried this trick on a simple chicken breast and it didn’t get soggy but kept it moist and by the time was up it just fell apart and was delicious. Also, change your cook time. Do it on high for less time or low for a longer period of time and just see what works for you. If you get soggy chicken again, just use it in a soup or stew or tacos. Something you can “hide” it in! Good luck!

29. How long did you cook it Jennifer? Some slow cookers cook super fast, this may be your issue.

30. Jennifer says:

I followed the recipe to the letter and it turned ou a soggy disintegrated mess. What did I do wrong? I would love to get it right.

31. can you use leg quarters?

32. Do you think this recipe would work with chicken leg quarters? Maybe just reduce the cook time a little?
    Thanks!

33. I’m inspired…. I’m definitely making this … Just wondering I don’t see any liquid in this recipe..I’m afraid it will stick to bottom of crock pot!… Or it will cook even!… Thanks for a nice easy recipe

34. Thank you for this awesome recipe! Everyone loved it and I was happy to come afte long day to two chickens all ready to go!

35. Yummy! I made this for dinner yesterday. The meat fell off the bone! I’ll never be afraid to cook a whole chicken again!

36. Can you add vegetables in the crock pot? (Carrots, onions, potatoes)

37. I think I am going to try this with a boneless turkey breast I have. Going to take slice it and take it to a potluck supper on Wednesday night.

38. Carolyn says:

Breast side up?? The picture shows it breast side down. Just wondering which is correct?

39. Susan Ball says:

does the skin get crispy? We don’t eat it regardless, but crispy skin is much more appetizing. Thanks

40. I’m sure it could Greta!!

41. I followed your recipe to the T, and it was the best chicken ever!!! I am making it tonight for my daughter and son in law, I love it!! thanks for sharing!!

42. I have a chicken that is 6.5 lbs, that I was planning on putting in a roasting pan – can this recipe be used for that?

43. @ Bill: Hi Bill, I’m not sure where you live, but rotisserie chickens here cost $5-7. If you get uncooked whole chickens when they are on sale you can get a much larger one for $3 (at least I can here). I can buy a regular rotisserie and it will only be used for one meal whereas the larger uncooked ones I can get at least 2 meals out of it.

44. Just curious how this saves you money. Often times a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store is cheaper than a whole raw chicken.

45. No you do not need to add any liquid to the crockpot. Your chicken will make its own juice and it won’t stick. I’ve been making chicken like this for over 10 years and my chicken has never stuck to the pot. If you do it on low the chicken practically falls off the bone. Easy and delicious!
    @ Amber:
    @ Amber:

46. @ Amber: I always roll up four tin foil balls and rest the chicken on those. This prevents the sticking.

47. This turned out so tender and moist. I will be making this on a regular basis for my family!!!

48. Do I need to add water to the crock pot to prevent sticking/burning?

49. I made this but cooked it in my electric roaster it only took about an hour and a half. The skin is exactly like the rotisserie chickens I used to buy at the store!! Delicious !

50. Wow! I just made this last weekend, and I was a little skeptical…but it turned out GREAT! So easy and tasty! I used the chicken in three different recipes! Thanks!

51. Emily – Thank you so much for this!!! This is one of the easiest receipes, but the best!! My kids LOVE the chicken this way – so moist and flavorable! We use it for chicken tacos.
    Thanks again – Trish

52. I have made this once before and it was great. So simple and so delicious. Thanks for sharing. I am making it for supper again tonight :)

53. belinda says:

I have made this sevral time and my family LOVES it, thanks

54. This looks so good, I just put mine in the crockpot and cannot wait for dinner tonight to see how this turns out….Thanks for sharing this :)

55. No broth, just the chicken!

56. Hi,
    Does the chicken need to be thawed before cooking it, because I put it in frozen, and the skin doesn’t seem to be crisping up, and this is the only difference I could find. I cooked on high 6 hours, but had half a crock pot of juice, drained it, then turned it back on. Any suggestions? And how do you get the rub in the “inside” of the chicken? Sorry, new to this whole cooking thing….

Thanks for the help!

57. Do you place the chicken in the crockpot without any broth. Just the chicken?

58. This looks soooo yummy, and I plan to try it this week. But I do have one question; your text says to place the chicken in the crockpot breast side up, but the photo looks like the chicken is breast side down (opposite of the text). Which is better? Does it matter?

59. This is amazing & is now my go to chicken recipe! Super easy & with 2 kids, a hungry husband, full time job, & night classes…..I need all the easy I can find. This was even my contribution to my family’s 2012 Christmas dinner & let me tell you it was GONE! Thank you ever so much for just one more healthy option for my family!!

60. I am trying this tonight :) It looks yummy and I am sure we will love it :)

61. I made the rotisserie chicken today, my crock pot has a high setting of 4-6 hours and my low is 8-10 hours, I set it for 8 and checked it in 7 hours and I overcooked it. The recipe is really good, the next time I try it and am going to try the other setting and watch it. I also have the showtime that makes good rotisserie chicken, I am going to use this paste when I use the showtime next time. I really liked the recipe, I believe the crock pot will really work, I just have to adjust the time I cook it. Thanks, Great Recipe

62. @ Angela:
    If you are mincing the garlic or using the jarred garlic it usually works out to about 1tsp

63. Looking forward to trying this tonight! Looks scrumptious!

64. VERY moist and tender ! My chicken was 7.5 lbs and took about seven and a half hours on low ! The rub is very flavorful too – may use just a tad less of the paprika, next time ! WINNER ! :D

65. No liquid in the slow cooker?

66. Hi Julie, The photo is wrong. The directions are right. Sorry about that!

67. Please confirm you mean breast side up. From the pic, it looks like breast side is down. Thanks so much! Looks yummy!!! Can’t wait to try it!

68. Submarine Wife says:

I found this on Pinterest and I’m trying it out tomorrow! I’m very excited to see how it turns out! Thank you for sharing!!

69. To die for chicken, absolutely delicious!!!

70. Your recipe says breast side up…but the photo shows it breast side down…???

71. I love this recipe. I will be making it today. I will also like to post it on my blog. Thanks for sharing.

72. I’m looking forward to cooking this today, although the listed ingredients don’t say how much minced garlic, but the pictures show it, so I’ll just take a guess about how much there is there…thinking 1/2 cup? I like garlic, so if it’s too much I’m sure I’ll be okay. Thanks for the recipe!

73. OH MY! I must try this!!

74. You’re very petty for letting an add stop you from a great recipie and quite frankly you’re rude. Take you’re comments somewhere else.@ Cooking girl:

75. I suggest breast down…it keeps it moister.

76. Want to try this to make chicken and dumplings,but we are a small family,so I don’t need the whole chicken (nor do I have one on hand). Would this work just using a boneless breast?

77. This is a kick butt recipe! I’m making the rotisserie chicken for the 5th or 6th or maybe 7th time now. It’s an awesome recipe – - – so awesome that my English husband has told me not to roast a chicken in the oven anymore. I usually use minced garlic and add a bit of chopped rosemary and sage to the paste and smother the chicken inside and out. I also put a foil ring/ball under the chicken. It really is a no fail recipe. The McDonald’s ad commenter is totally missing out on this.

78. Nan Mathews says:

Hi. The recipe said “breast side up” but the photo shows breast down. Which please?

79. Thanks! We are gluten free (and need to be). It makes me feel safer to cook our own. This is a wonderful idea. Thanks!

80. Can you do this recipe with boneless chicken?

81. Made this yesterday it was delicious!!!!

82. Hmm.. I did not know there was a McDonald’s pop up ad, I generally don’t allow popup ads. But thanks for being so kind and understanding! (ha)

83. Cooking girl says:

Your McDonalds pop up ad is obtrusive and defeats
    the purpose of a home cooked meal. Bad decision there!
    For that reason alone, I will not use this recipe!

84. Sandi, I leave the liquid in the crockpot and then use it in soups. A few commenters suggested making foil balls to prop the chicken up out of the juices.

85. Made this today, where did I go wrong? I had to keep spooning liquid out of the crock pot, it was looking like chicken soup :( I didn’t put any liquid in there at all before cooking.

86. Thank you! I’ve got this on tomorrow’s menu. Looks really easy :)

87. What if I used minced garlic??

88. Heather E. says:

@ Terrie: When I first made this, I combined my spices in a bowl – AND I used garlic powder, not fresh garlic, so it wasn’t a paste – and I carefully sprinkled it on top of my chicken breasts.

89. LOVED IT!!! My kids devoured it!

90. You’re directions say “breast side up” but the picture shows the breast side down. Can you please clarify? Thanks!

91. Can you do this with boneless, skinless chicken breasts? I was just wondering, since they don’t have skin, would I need to add liquid?

92. I see some people are a little concerned about not using any type of fluid in the Crock Pot. I too was hesitant to believe it would work initially, but believe me, it did! It was a nice, juicy chicken that fell right off the bone.

93. I love rotisserie chicken…didn’t know you could make it in the crockpot! It doesn’t burn?? No water?

94. I am looking for a recipe that I don’t have to leave the house for today! ( Icky hurricane sandy weather!) I only have chicken thighs…. would they dry out or would this work for those as well? Thanks! The recipe sounds awesome!

95. This is an awesome recipe! Thanks so much for sharing.

96. Came across this recipe early this morning, it looks fantastic and I had everything but the chicken itself. It is in the crock pot right now, dinner is going to be awesome!! Thanks for a simple one that can’t miss..

97. The directions say breast side up, but the photo shows breast side down. Can you clarify this for me? Thanks

98. This recipe looks amazing!!! Going to make it today!

99. Can you just sprinkle the spices on and in the chicken, or do you have to make the rub??

100. Nope I don’t add water!

101. do you not add a little water to the crockpot?

102. Thank you! My crock pot will be getting allot more use!

103. Didn’t have onion powder but I chopped up a half an onion and spread it on time of the chicken. The chicken is in them crockpot, just as I type this now!!! Can’t wait to taste!

104. Trying this today. We usually grill a whole chicken each Sunday to eat for lunches throughout the week and easy fast suppers. Look forward to this.

105. Jackye Powell says:

I quartered an onion and used it for little legs under the chicken. A girl can’t have too much onion!

106. I can’t wait to try this it looks so good and easy! Thank you for the recipe!

107. y if breast side up the pic looks like its back is up facing the top of crockpot am i wrong on the pic as shown???? could you plz email me with the right way or wrong way i suppose to put it in the crock up with the breast to top of crock or back up to top of crock im confussed here

108. I was lucky enough to get TWO crock pots last winter and have been double-crockin’ it up since fall hit! I do the chicken like you explain only I separate the skin from the breast and stuffed the seasoning under there with some herb butter! Then I make all my veggies in the other crock pot and add the chicken to it with each serving! Such an amazing recipe! Thanks busymommy!

109. Wonderful and delightful..You must try, and so easy. Thanks

110. Hail to the Busy Mommy! This chicken tasted great!! My kids told me numerous times how much they liked it. Def. will be having again. Can’t wait to share with my friends. :-)

111. What about low and slow in oven
    Take off foil half way and roast it.
    I am concerned about it actually
    Looking like the picture. Any re-
    Commendations

112. do i have to put any stock in the crockpot?
    just like that? cook in the crockpot for 6-7 hours?
    thats easy!..

113. While making a BBQ Brisket in my crock pot I learned a secret, if you put a bowl upside down in the bottom of the crock pot first and then place your meat on top of it. During cooking the bowl sucks all the meat juices under the cup thus creating more of a dry roasting condition and the meat will brown. The first time I did this I couldn’t believe there was not juices in the bottom of the crock. Once cooked, remove your meat and pick up the bowl and all your juices will be captured and released in the crock.

114. I saw this receipe pinned on Pinterest, and I had it on my agenda to try it. It really is “that” easy!! I’m a single-mom, so this was just what my little one and I needed. The recipe is fool proof, and there is simply nothing I would change. Great one for the book!

115. I cook this all the time. Yes I do put it under the broiler. For a few until its golden brown. That’s the only thing I have added to the recipe. I love it! I do check to make sure the near thermometer is at poultry before I remove the chicken. The juice is left in the crock pot is amazing adding to rice. I fix the rice, pour juices over rice and let it set for a few until rice has absorbed the juices. I love this recipe!!!!

116. @ Michelle G:
    Try leaving it in the crock pot longer. I left mine in for a whole 24 hours and it was so moist and tasteful :) hope this works for you

117. I make something like this but I wad up tin foil into balls, bout the size of tennis ball or baseballs. Probably 3 of them. Put them in the bottom of your crockpot and put the chicken on top of them, it holds the chicken up and out of the juices. Much better. ‘IMO

118. I make something close to this, but I take tin foil and roll into balls (bout the size of tennis ball/baseball) and put them on the bottom of the crockpot. Probably 3 of them. This holds the chicken up and out of the juices.

119. Making this for tonight and just curious…you mention putting the chicken breast side up, but the picture shows breast side down. Just wondering if it makes any difference.

120. Michelle, Some have suggested to put it under the broiler for a few minutes before posting. As for being white-colored.. did you take the skin off or leave it on? Did you rub the rub mixture underneath the skin and on the skin as well?

121. I Made This Today And It Was Like Other Readers Posted… Watery And Pasty White Colored. It Didn’t Look Anything Like This Picture. The Natural Juices From A Chicken Would Not Just Disappear So Common Sense Says It Wont Be Brown And Crispy But Watery Like Any Other Boiled Chicken With a Lid On It. I Had To Make It Into Soup. On The Plus Side, It Tasted Good.

122. Haha other people have said that, but I didn’t notice it! My photos have gotten a lot better since then.

123. deanaindenver says:

This must be good, I just wish that the picture didn’t look like a roasted dog. It scared me the first time I saw it.

124. Best chicken I have ever had. My kids flipped over how tender and juicy this was. Even better was how easy it was to make

125. p.s. She used chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken and it was still delish. Thank you so much for sharing this.

126. My daughter made this a few nights ago and she brought some down to share with my husband and I. It was THEE best chicken we had ever had. I will be trying this myself very soon for a gals day get together. I know my friends will love it!

127. Making this now!!

128. in your directions you say to place the chicken , breast side up, but in the photo the chix is breast side down….which is the correct way?

129. I use poultry seasoning & garlic salt. The crock pot idea sounds interesting Thanks

130. @ Leslie:
    I use poultry seasoning & garlic salt on my chicken. Now that my oven is broken, the crock pot idea sounds great. Thanks

131. Had this for dinner tonight, all I can say is OMG! It was awesome. Will never buy rotisserie chicken again.

132. Does it come out of the crock pot as a whole chicken yet to put it in a pan to put it under the broiler or does it fall apart to much to do that? Is it better just to remove the skin? I like the skin to be crispy not flabby so I’m wondering if I should just remove the skin from it before cooking.

133. @ Suny:
    nope

134. Shannon Claycomb says:

OMG thanks for sharing this! I am always going to the store to buy rotisserie chicken! NOT NO MORE!!! We even use the left overs for pot pie! (Shred left over chicken, add cream of potato, cream of chicken, can of mixed veggies, top with pie crust, BAKE!) My kids love it! Thanks again for sharing this wonderful recipe!!!!

135. I’m just curious, in the picture the chicken looks like it’s breast-side down. Is it supposed to be down or up? I’m making this tonight. I did put it in breast-side up. I can’t wait to try it!!!

136. Wonderful recipe!!!! So easy and delish!!! My family loved it and requests it often!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

137. You don’t need any liquid in crockpot??

138. I made this tonight after finding it on Pinterest, and I was pretty skeptical – I thought for sure you had either put the chicken under a grill or photoshopped the picture because I couldn’t see how a crock pot would make it brown like that. But it worked! It was SO good, and everyone wolfed it down.

Although I’m a pretty good cook and not afraid to experiment, I usually avoid dealing with whole chickens because they’ve always seemed ‘hard’ to me. However, this recipe was super easy, used ingredients I already had on hand and tasted amazing. Thanks for sharing! :-)

139. I am making this now and it should be done when we wake. I hope it turns out good because we are out of food till pay day on Wednesday. I will let you know how it turns out.

140. Recipe was great!! The skin didn’t come out nice and brown though. I ended up putting it under the broiler to brown it up a bit. I also put cubed potatoes in under the chicken so that I didn’t have to make a side dish seperately. Over all, a great recipe.

141. This looks amazing! Going to try it this weekend for sure. :-)

142. Thank you for your help. Can’t wait to try. My family loves rotisserie chicken!!!
    @ deniseinark:

143. Hi Amanda. Try broiling the chicken in the oven for a few minutes for a crunchy crust. Might do the trick.

144. The instructions say breast side up, but the picture shows breast side down. Most recipes I read say breast side down, so I will try it that way

145. This looks fabulous! I’m stuck without an oven for the next couple months so I was REALLY excited to find your crockpot recipe… thanks!

146. justagirl says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I have out-of-town company so I tried this for dinner. Everyone LOVED it.

147. Your instructions say place the chicken breast side up, but the picture shows breast side down. Which is the correct way?

148. @ Elizabeth:
    Just the lid…

149. I tried this, and the juices from the chicken, as it cooked, left it looking like a chicken that was cooked in about 2 cups of stock. It tasted okay, but….not at all like a rotisserie……could just be me, though.

150. Cover with the lid. Hope it turns out for you!

151. Elizabeth says:

Hi, I have never used a slow cooker before. When you say, “cover” do you mean with just the lid or do you add liquid?

152. Emily wrote:

Hi Barb, Just add a few Tablespoons until you get a paste consistency.

have my chicken in the crockpot now . can’t wait for it to get done. this is such a easy dish to make and best of all you can let it cook all night for dinner the next night. going to start doing more with the crockpot meals

153. Hi Barb, Just add a few Tablespoons until you get a paste consistency.

154. You stated to rub paste on chicken but no where do you state how much water to add
    to get the paste you have to something wet to make the paste

155. Yes, the photo is wrong. If you read the comments, many readers have great suggestions!

156. ArmyWifeSeattle says:

This is not a criticism. But your instructions say to put the chicken in breast side up and your pic shows back side up. Just want to clear up any confusion. May I also recommend using less salt… Having said all that… you are a wonderful person for sharing this… it does look very good!

157. Yolanda says:

How did you make the skin crispy?

158. @ Rachel:
    Hi i would think you could use it with any chicken parts or quantity for that matter as long as u have the room.

159. deniseinark says:

@ Rachel: I didn’t write the recipe, but I’ve cooked a LOT of chicken and since it’s been a while since your question, I hope this helps. Chicken thighs can be used as a substitute in almost any recipe for whole chicken. I have plans to make this recipe today with a package of thighs, and my only concern is that they are the boneless ones. Bone-in meats tend to be more flavorful and tender, although the slow cooker addresses these concerns pretty well. They’ll probably cook a little faster. The other thing I’ll need to do, for that lovely dry-baked edge, will be to elevate the meat above the juices. That will be a great win-win because you KNOW those juices will be a hugely flavorful addition to a lot of things!!

160. I love Rotisserie chicken and this sounds like a Great way to make it, and cheaper…What I don’t understand is you wrote to put the chicken in breast up, though your picture shows the chicken breast side down. I am not very educated using a Slow Cooker and know chicken can become dry easily, would cooking it breast side down make it less dry?

161. Can this be made with only thighs?

162. The Queso Pizza recipe link doesn’t work :(

163. I cooked a 3 pound chicken today, breast side down just as the recipe states on high for 3 1/2 hours and it was perfect!

164. Am I able to do this with just thighs? And if so how long would I need to cook them for?

165. I was wondering if this could be made with just thighs? I have lots on hand and need something to do with them. If so how long should I cook them?

166. yummm,can’t wait to try this! thanks for sharing.

167. Made this last Sunday for supper. It was great and supper easy. I used a crock pot liner instead of spraying the crock pot. Easy clean up !! A great recipe for these HOT summer days !!

168. I hate the feeling of raw chicken…not to mention the smell it leaves on your hands. I bought a box of disposable surgical gloves at the pharmacy and put them on. When I take them off, they will be inside out. I put a little bit of dish detergent in each glove, a small amount of water, twist the cuff of the glove together and shake, washing the chicken uck away. This also makes it possible to re-use the gloves a couple of times before tossing them. I just stick them over the handles of my faucet to help air dry them before putting away.

169. I was reading over some of the comments about the chicken being dried out. The chicken should be cooked with the breast side up, not down to keep it nice and moist. Hope this helps!

170. Hi Elissa, some commenters have suggested the foil method- placing the chicken on top of balls of foil. Many crock pots cook very differently. Try cooking at a lower temp for a longer time? Use a meat thermometer to check doneness. Maybe even try a larger chicken?

171. I loved the flavor on this recipe and the simplicity of it, but mine came out really dry and I’m not sure what I did wrong. I had a 3.25 pound chicken, and I cooked it the way shown in the picture (which from all the comments I’m assuming is breast side down) on high for about 4.5 hours, and the breast meat came out extremely dry. The meat that sat in the juices was delish, but the rest was dry. Maybe cooking it breast side up would have made it juicy? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

172. Debbie Brown says:

Is there a printable version of this recipe? Would love to try it.
    Thanks,
    Debbie

173. I have seen this before but your picture makes me finallly want to try this. this hot weather is a perfect time to try it. Thanks for sharing, can’t wait to try it.

174. Charmyka says:

Hi Emily,

Thanks for the response! Can you explain the aluminum foil method to me. My chicken turned out great by the way. I will definitely make this again.

175. Hi Charmyka, The aluminum foil method would stop the chicken from boiling in it’s own juices.

176. Charmyka says:

I just made this today. I am not sure how it tastes just yet but I’m hoping it tastes good. I do have a question though. What is the aluminum foil method that others have posted about? What is it supposed to do for the process. Depending on how this turns out, I’m sure that I will be making this again.

177. Hi Diane, I’ve never done it with boneless chicken breasts, but I’ve done bone-in and it works great. I bet boneless would get a little dry.

178. Can you do this with just boneless chicken breasts? What would you have to adjust for say, 4 breasts? Thanks!

179. Wanda Martin says:

The picture shows is BREAT down..the instructions call for breat up… which is it?

180. I’m making this now, and my house smells wonderful. I can’t wait to taste it tonight. So easy just want I needed to make dinner. Simple, easy, and forget it about.

181. Just put this in the crock pot for supper. Can’t wait to try it. Nothing could be easier to fix. Will let you know how it turns out.

182. @ Angela:
    I cook it with the rolled up aluminum foil and it works great.

183. I would recommend defrosting first.

184. @ Emily:
    I just finished preparing this recipe. I kept looking at the picture and the directions that say breast side up. So confusing. Then I read your post that it doesn’t matter. I’m crossing my fingers…can’t wait to taste! Thanks!

185. Can u put the chicken in frozen? Or best to defrost first??

186. I need to come to dinner at your house! Sounds delish!

187. I have a recipe that says to roll up aluminium foil and to place the chicken on. It states that the chicken should not touch the juices that will produce when its cooking. I have not tried it yet but thought you might try it and see how it turns out.

188. @ Emily:
    Yeah, the onion worked great! This turned out so well. I sliced up the breast meat to top some cold sesame noodles, and I’m using the dark meat for some pot pies. I also got some tasty fat and a little less than a cup of intensely flavorful… broth… stock…. chicken juice… whatever. I froze it and I’ll figure out what to do with it later.
    Thanks for this recipe!

189. Hi Sara, The photo is wrong, it should be breast side up, but then other commenters have said they prefer it breast side down. Either way works!

190. Your recipe says breast side up, but your picture is showing breast side down. Which should it be?

191. Hi John, I often improvise when I don’t have ingredients. I bet a small onion would work well!

192. This looks great! I’m gonna try it this weekend. Could I use a small onion instead of the onion powder? I have a bunch of onions that I’m trying to use up. Thanks!

193. Lucy Ford says:

Make this today, breast side down, and it turned out wonderful! Very juicy, not dry. I did stick it under the broiler for a few minutes and the skin got as crispy as in the picture. I was surprised at just how much meat you can get off of one of the little chickens. Thank you for a great recipe, will be doing this from now on. Huge money saver.

194. So sad! I keep going to make this recipe yet I do not have time! I do not like cooking on high, so I have to do low (personal preference) its 815 now, and my step son has a game we have to leave for by 415… my low is 8 hours lol. Hopefully tomorrow!!

195. Yes, it makes a ton of juice! I often freeze the liquid to use as “broth.”

196. @ Emily:
    There was alot of water that came from the chicken when it finished so I made gravy. This is the best chicken hands down of any that I have ever made. It fell off the bone and the plate was totally empty

197. Nope, no water!

198. Christin Couch says:

Do u not have to add water to the slow cooker?

199. Did it come out of the crockpot all brown and crispy-looking? Or this some oven-browning after the fact? I’ve never had a chicken come out of the crockpot looking like this…even when I browned it deep golden brown first. It still came out white.

200. Katherine Eaton says:

Wow thank you cannot wait to try this!!! I love Rotisserie Chicken and love to use my crockpot!

201. Hi Angie, Many commenters have said to put the chicken breast side down. The recipe calls for the breast side up. Maybe try both and then see if there is a difference!

202. You say to put the chicken in breast side up? But in the picture it’s breast side down. Was that a type-o?

203. @ Iva:

I would think if the skin isn’t crispy, or not crispy enough for your liking, that throwing (not literally) under the broiler for a few minutes would work. and, I think placing it breast down would make for a much moister bird… same goes for a turkey during the holidays (or whenever).. it’s not as picture perfect like the magazines, but the breast meat is super moist due to the juices from the thighs constantly seeping down thru the breast. hope that helps!
    and to make it even BETTER, brine your birds 24 hrs first(which I do for all if I have time or think ahead)… makes for incredible juice and taste.

204. How does the chicken skin turn out? Is it crispy like rotisserie chicken or is it more of a wet skin?

205. Recipe says place in crockpot breast side up. Picture shows breast side down. Which is best? I would like to try this.

206. I just made this. We can barely keep our hands out the pot to save it for tomorrow’s dinner! Awesome

207. Hi.
    Breast down. Dark meat is moist and takes longer to cook. White dries out usually by the time dark is done. SOOO, if you cook it breast side down all the wonderful juices of the dark will keep the white moist.
    Yum. All this is making me hungry…….I think I’ll run home and start something in MY crock pot.
    :-)

208. Mine is in the crock pot right now. Can’t wait to try it!! My husband didn’t want me to buy a crock pot because he thought that he wouldn’t eat anything cooked in one – so I am making the FIRST meal in my brand new crock pot one he will eat!

209. Emily,
    The chicken is in the crock pot right now… can’t wait to try it. Am I crazy or is the picture of your bird breast side down? I may’ve read the recipe incorrectly… but I thought you wanted it breast side up. Anyway… I’ve tried this same rub/paste in a BBQ grill version and it turned out wonderfully… hoping the crockpot will yield the same results. Thanks for sharing!!!
    ~ K

210. In the directions it says to put it in breast side up but in your picture its breast side down…. Which should I do?

211. @ sarah: That’s too bad! How long did you cook it? Did you let it boil in it’s juices? It could be because of several factors..

212. @ Wendy:
    My family did not like this! It was too much like boiled chicken. :(

213. Hi Sharon, you are correct- no water. I usually never put any water in any of the meat/poultry I am cooking in the crock pot.

214. So I’m correct in reading you use NO WATER in the bottom of crocker…and for sure it does NOT come out dry?

215. Hi Iliana, I would recommend the chicken be fully defrosted.

216. Does the chicken have to be defrosted?

217. JoAnna Danzy says:

Made this today, but tweaked the ingredients… Doubled the cayanne (I like spicey), used chicken broth with the paste instead of water, added minced garlic and diced onions to the crockpot (in addition to the garlic/onion powder in the paste), and covered the bottom of the pot with chicken broth to reduce risk of dry chicken… came out perfect!!! Yum-O! Making some garlic mashed potatoes, carrots with cream and green onions, green beans, and sliced french bread to go with it!

218. I saw an episode of Cook’s Country featuring Crock pot brisket. They recommended resting the meat on an inverted pierced foil pan in the bottom of the crock pot to prevent boiling the meat–as opposed to roasting it. Chicken will produce a surprising amount of liquid, so this would probably be a good cooking technique for this recipe. Can’t wait to try it!

219. Hi Wendy, What type of chicken did you use? How long did you cook it? Was there a ton of juice at the bottom of the crockpot? Did you rub the seasoning between the chicken and the skin? All of these could be factors…

220. I made this chicken today. Mine didn’t come out anything like the picture and it tasted almost like boiled chicken. Any suggestions?

221. I used a dry rub rather than the paste and it came out delicious!

222. Let us know how it turns out!!

223. Thanks for the recipe! Found it on pinterest. We always get whole chickens from our csa, and I always cook them in the crock pot, so I’m thrilled to try this! Got it going now!

224. Souns so great…I usually use my clay pots but i will definitely try this and let you know how they compare. Do u always use a roasting chicken?

225. Hi there. Have you tried this with the skin removed before cooking?

226. Hi Lisa. I know it’s kind of gross, but if you place some of the rub underneath the skin of the chicken it will be more delicious in the end!

227. What do you mean rub it inside and out, do I have to actually stick my hands inside the bird?

228. I just made this last night to make sandwiches for lunch, so yummy!! Thanks!

229. @ Jenna:
    The super market I worked in made rotisserie chicken with Lawreys seasoning salt. So yummy!

230. @ Rapinka:you say no liquid but 4 hours in, my chicken is boiling in it’s own liquid. is that a problem? should i be draining it, or is boiling in it’s own juices a good thing? thanks!

231. @Rapinka – you say no liquid but 4 hours in, my chicken is boiling in it’s own liquid. is that a problem? should i be draining it, or is boiling in it’s own juices a good thing? thanks!

232. The key to tender, juicy, super yummy chicken from the crock is to put the bird in BY ITSELF. I repeat, DO NOT put any liquid in the crock with your chicken, or the meat will come out tough. If the chicken is sitting in a puddle, that puddle will eventually boil in your crock, and you will essentially be making boiled chicken, rather than slow roasted moist delicious ‘this must have taken you hours’ but was actually oh-so-easy fabulous melt in your mouth chicken. I’ve done whole chickens in the crock for years, in fact I have been crocking everything for ages! So easy, so yummy. Trust me- you won’t be disappointed!

233. Kim Strange says:

Excellent recipe! My husband and kids loved it! My new favorite recipe. The rub was amazing!

234. I accidentally got a much larger chicken. I believe it is 6 lbs. How long do you suggest cooking it?

235. I have a chicken that has stuffing in it already. I got it for an amazing price. Could I still do it in a crock pot??

Thanks!

236. @ Lindsay: Nope, no liquid. I suppose you could though!

237. Did you put any liquid in with it, or just the chicken?

238. I have a whole Fryer chicken I got for $.14 and I didn’t know what to use it for!!! Now I do! Thanks!

239. @ sally: I recently learned that if you lift the lid at all, you lose moisture and run the risk of dry meat. I thought it was my crock pot as well, until I learned that. Now the cook times are working perfectly. :)

240. I am looking forward to trying this tonight. Looks so good.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

(found it via pinterest)

241. Goging to the store now to purchase the chicken…. the house is going to smell AMAZING by the time the kids come home from school! I cant wait.
    Thanks for the beautiful recipe.

242. I know when I cooked a chicken on low it only took about 4 hours. It was so done it was falling apart it was super good. I put some celery underneath it but NO LIQUID. It will make it’s own broth that way the broth isn’t all soupy and the meat will still have good flavour. (When you put liquid in it seems like it boils in the water/broth/wine etc) much better flavour with no added liquids.

243. Mmmm this looks so tasty!

244. This is really a great idea. Thanks for sharing

245. This looks delicious! I cook chicken at least a couple times a week and I LOVE using my crock pot. I am going to try this recipe for sure!

246. SeattleMommy says:

I actually cooked a chicken in my slow cooker this weekend. I didn’t have the paprika, but I DID have this nice tandoori seasoning mix that I bought from Cost Plus. I added the other seasonings and wow, was that chicken great! It cooked up beautifully. It was pretty amazing that there was so much liquid in the pot at the end of the cooking time – so you don’t really need to add any water to the pot at the beginning. I will experiment with other spices/spice rubs and can’t wait to taste the results! This is a very easy way to serve a great meal to my family – thanks!

247. The only way we cook our chicken is via crock pot, but I’ve never cooked a whole chicken like this. I can’t wait to try it!!
    Usually I get chicken breasts and some Lawry Herb and Garlic Marinade, dump it in the crock pot and let it cook for 7-8hrs on low all day. It’s the moistest most flavorful chicken ever, my family loves it! I’ll have to see if they love it this way too, thanks for sharing!

248. YES! I have been looking for a recipe like this. YAY!

249. Sounds easy enough! Thanks for sharing.

250. My slow cooker acts as if it’s on steriod so I think I’d have to decrease my cooking time, but this is definitely do-able for me! I love roasted chicken!

251. Thanks Emily! Actually, my slow cooker is new. That was the 3rd time I used it since buying it, so maybe I’m not quite used to this particular one yet. And I do have a meat thermometor, but by the time I checked the meat with it, the temp was way up. I did see a suggestion somewhere about slow cooker chicken and that was to buy one with a pop-up thermometer in it. Anyway, I’m going to try again, but use your rub.

252. Hi Sally, sometimes it depends on your slow cooker as well. If you have an older cooker the time/temp might be off. You should always check to see what temp the chicken is at with a meat thermometor.

253. I find that 6-7 hours on low is too long. I haven’t used your recipe yet, but my chicken in a slow cooker was a bit dry for that length of time. I suppose it depends on the size of the chicken. Will have to try your rub though as it sounds delicious. Nice website BTW. Great ideas and recipes. I will be back. :)

254. Oh my goodness that looks incredible and how easy. I agree raw chicken creeps me out a little too. I absolutely hate to cut them up. I can’t wait to try this. Thanks for the recipe.

255. That. Looks. DELICIOUS. It’s well before lunch time, but I may need to step out to grab something a bit early. Thanks for the post!

256. The chicken turned out fantastic! I used a fryer chicken (rather than a roaster chicken) and it was as juicy as could be. I don’t think the breat being up or down would have mattered. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Emily!

257. I love my slow cooker, but I’ve never thought of putting a whole chicken in there! What a great idea, and the rub you used sounds delicious!

258. Bought my chicken yesterday so I could make today. Love the crockpot, love rotisserie chicken, LOVE EASY!!! We’ll be eating tonight for dinner.

259. WOW, this sounds good!

260. Yes, I’ve heard that breast side down is better, too, b/c the breast is the driest piece of the bird. Nevertheless, the seasoning procedure for this chicken looks absolutely perfect. i’ll be making this soon. The recipe doesn’t call for some type of liquid or foil balls at the base of the crockpot?

261. Mary Russell! says:

sounds really good and easy, will have to try it.!!

262. Could this work with cut up chicken? My family only likes dark meat.

263. It is not as crispy as a rotisserie chicken, but still tastes great. The reason I like it the most is that the leftovers are perfect for a variety of recipes.

264. I’ve tried this recipe before. I didn’t think it tasted too much like a rotisserie chicken at all. The flavor just wasn’t quite there. It still tasted good though.

265. Thanks for the tip Ken. The recipe I used said breast side up. I actually did breast side down, like you said. Either way works. Next time I will have to try breast side up and see the difference.

266. You MIGHT want to cook it breast side down; that would let the juices settle in the driest part of the chicken.

267. Hi Janice, you are right :) I didn’t even notice. I think I was too caught up in the fact that I didn’t want to touch raw chicken. You want to place the breast side up. The picture I took, is breast side down. I don’t think it matters a whole lot, just make sure your internal temperature is safe.

268. Why do you say to put your chicken in breast side up, when your picture shows it breast side down – just wondering cause I really want to try this recipe.

TIA

269. Ooh, sounds easy. Gonna have to try this one! :)

270. Hmmm,that chicken looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

271. I love my slow cooker! I have a bunch of healthy slow cooker recipes that I post on my blog if you’re interested.

Trackbacks

1. […] 7.  CROCKPOT ROTISSERIE CHICKEN with steamed broccoli […]

2. […] 70.  Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken […]

3. […] our those crock pots so you can have a nice warm meal without heating up the entire house. This Fauxtisseries Chicken is great to serve as a main course with some veggies on the side or to save later and put on […]

4. […] 70.  Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken […]

5. […]  Tuesday:  Ground turkey taco lettuce wraps w/ fresh guacamole (no cheese).  Wednesday:  Whole crockpot chicken w/ brussels sprouts and sweet potato Thursday:  Roasted vegetables w/ quinoa and a lemon garlic […]

6. […] Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken, Steamed Green Beans, and a […]

7. […] put in small ziplock bags and froze so we could use them in future casseroles and soups. I used a Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken recipe I found on Pinterest (seriously Pinterest is a frugal persons best […]

8. […]        pin via busy-mommy.com […]

9. […] I’ve been wanting to cook a whole chicken lately, I’m not sure exactly why but I am guessing it’s because of the cold winter weather and craving hearty food. I asked a few friends for recommendations on how to cook a whole chicken with a minimum of fuss and Carolyn recommended this recipe for Make Your Own Rotisserie Chicken. […]

10. […] twin pack of good sized birds for less than $10. I tried this recipe for Rotisserie Chicken, found here, in the slow cooker, which was fabulous. (I only used about 2/3 of the spice mixture.) Nick and I […]

11. […] Rotisserie Chicken – This Rotisserie Chicken recipe is made in the crockpot.  My favorite […]

12. [...] here is the rub that made this crazy delicious chicken crazy [...]

13. [...] Slow Cooker Rotisserie - You will often hear that buying a whole chicken can save you a lot of money! This is true, when [...]

14. [...] – Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken (not eating the skin) with Steamed Green Beans & Green [...]

15. [...] excellent reviews on Pinterest so I thought it was worth giving it a try. Plus the picture on the author’s webpage and Pinterest looked [...]

16. [...] – rotisserie chicken in the crockpot with green beans tossed with roasted [...]

17. [...] Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken    We really love rotisserie chicken, so I’m excited to try this [...]

18. [...] Crockpot rotisserie chicken with roasted [...]

19. [...] day at the office, in the garden, or out with the kiddos.  It makes delicious pot roasts and even rotisserie-style chicken!  It’s also great for soups, stews, chili and spaghetti sauce.  You can make the cheapest cut [...]

20. [...] day at the office, in the garden, or out with the kiddos.  It makes delicious pot roasts and even rotisserie-style chicken!  It’s also great for soups, stews, chili and spaghetti sauce.  You can make the cheapest cut [...]

21. [...] day at the office, in the garden, or out with the kiddos.  It makes delicious pot roasts and even rotisserie-style chicken!  It’s also great for soups, stews, chili and spaghetti sauce.  You can make the cheapest [...]

22. [...] Crock Pot Rotisserie Chicken – Most people love those pretty Rotisserie chickens you can buy at the grocery store but thanks to Pinterest I can now make a beautiful Rotisserie in my crock pot. I usually make this on the weekends and then shred it and use it in different recipes throughout the week. I must say I was skeptical when I first saw this recipe but after trying it I am hooked and no longer buy over priced Rotisserie Chicken’s at the store. [...]

23. [...] Rotisserie Chicken [...]

24. [...] PIN* I made the Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken Recipe from busymommy yesterday for dinner, and it was SO easy and very tasty. It fed 3 adults and 6 kids [...]

25. [...] price but it was less than $5 so that’s what we’re going with.  I read this recipe ( http://busy-mommy.com/2010/02/how-to-make-your-own-rotisserie-chicken.html ) and followed the directions to a “T” and it was really good.  Like tender juicy [...]

26. [...] Baked chicken (either rotisserie style or with vegetables à la [...]

27. [...] Monday: Chicken soup  (something along these lines) with leftover crockpot rotisserie chicken [...]

28. [...] Crockpot rotisserie chicken with rice or potatoes and [...]

29. [...] I made Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken.  I followed her recipe to the letter, though I’m not sure if my paste was wet enough (or [...]

30. [...] on my stove last night, I managed to pull off a wonderful meal, if I do say so myself.  I made this crock-pot chicken, only I put it in a pan and broiled it for a few minutes to brown the skin.  When I pulled the [...]

31. [...] crockpot rotisserie chicken for dinner. Embracing my crockpot more these days. * What this a few more times. There’s [...]

32. [...] PIN* I made the Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken Recipe from busymommy yesterday for dinner, and it was SO easy and very tasty. It fed 3 adults and 6 kids [...]

33. [...] – rotisserie chicken in the crockpot; simple salad with herbed yogurt [...]

34. [...] had this crockpot chicken recipe for supper tonight.  It was pretty good.  I only used 1/2 a fryer [...]

35. [...] new recipe this week was this Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken. Good, easy recipe, but again I overcooked it slightly. Chickens here are smaller than in America, [...]

36. [...] Rotisserie Chicken in the Crock Pot from Busy Mommy. Apparently I’m craving chicken. [...]

37. [...] recipe was even quicker since I had the chicken already made thanks to yet another Pinterest find: http://busy-mommy.com/2010/02/how-to-make-your-own-rotisserie-chicken.html This entry was posted in Uncategorized by P. Bookmark the [...]

38. [...] recipe was even quicker since I had the chicken already made thanks to yet another Pinterest find: http://busy-mommy.com/2010/02/how-to-make-your-own-rotisserie-chicken.html This entry was posted in Recipes by P. Bookmark the [...]

39. [...] Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken – I added Za’atar seasoning and made soup from it too, a big favorite! [...]

40. [...] How to Make Your Own Rotisserie Chicken in a CrockPot from Busy-Mommy  [...]

41. [...]                                                           Source: busy-mommy.com via Laura on [...]

42. [...] Whole Chicken in the Slow Cooker. I already prepped this one, and it’s cooking now so I presume that’s what I’m [...]